Thursday, July 16, 2009

Classical stories

"MPO concert 6th july, 6.30pm, anybody wanna join?" custom msg on msn messenger last month. A few people replied saying they want to join, but had transport problem or not free or some other reason, then Classical Bin came saying, "If nobody go then i'll go, want to become classical..." Actually this Classical Bin wasnt classical last time, she just suddenly became classical so I called her Classical Bin, initially was just a normal Ah Bin...

So in the end Classical Bin and I together with another church friend went to DFP to watch the organ concert that night. Actually I don't usually watch organ concerts, coz I heard from cousie saying it's a bit dull. But that night's performance schedule supposedly has a duet between violin and organ, and another duet between cello and organ, and I would be able to taste the feel of the pipe organ as well.

I was already at KLCC since aftnoon so i waited for Classical Bin to arrive. Considering that she finished her class at 5pm and went home to shower, and then drove to KLCC and reached at 6.15, was kinda rush, but good thing Classical Bin does things quite fast. So we went in to the classical hall and got our premium seat at the centre of the hall.

"Watching orchestra concert is like watching movie leh.." Classical Bin suddenly said.
"Err..yea la, kind of."
"But why MPO doesn't sell pop corn ah? So we can eat sambil watch the concert."
"............"

This is the most "zha dao" question i've ever heard. But it's normal for it to come out from Classical Bin's mouth.

The show began, and Dr Marc came out saying that he would be changing the programme of the performance, so the violin and cello piece would not be played.... Another "zha dao" statement. But never mind, I still enjoyed the performance coz i was busy observing how the pipe organ works.

After the concert, Classical Bin was already hungry like mad, so we went to the food court to have our dinner. My other church friend didn't want to eat coz she's eaten, so she just watched us eat.

Since dad had already driven the car back home after work, Classical Bin gave me a ride back home with her classical driving in her classical manual car. Thanks Classical Bin!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Any classical people free this Sat night, 8.30pm?" a custom msg put on gtalk. But nobody replied. Custom msg off.

Then Kuochun came online...
"When are you going back to UTP?" I asked him.
"19th perhaps, why? going for MPO is it?"
"guessed correctly. But nobody wana go..."
"where's all your classical gang? Make announcement at fb la, surely can find people to join you."
I was thinking..fb network too big la, later too many people want to go susah pulak, so decided that the offer only opened to gtalk contacts. Ok, custom msg on.

Waited for people to reply while downloading videos from youtube. But nobody replied, maybe it's either because people who are online that time happen to be people who are not classical, or maybe they did not get what i mean as I put "any classical people free" instead of "MPO concert." Ok fine, never mind. Custom msg off.

Had a few people's name in mind. But later decided if want convenience just get people nearby. In the end just went with Henry, as he is having internship in tower 1, so save energy since i wanted to get the student price using student card. Then I don't need to borrow people from tower 2 and their student card in order to get another student price ticket in the event somebody else who lives not very near decides to go.

That night's performance was very nice, considering it as a whole. First, it was Michael Torke's colours of music which consists of Bright Blue Music, Purple and Green. There were actually two more colour pieces composed by Torke which are Ecstatic Orange and Ash, but were not played by the MPO. The next piece was Korngold's Violin Concerto in D, with a violinist called Benjamin Schmid. And I just loved that violinist! The way he played was just so funny and cute, and of course skillful. That piece that was played also became one of my favourite pieces after that, especially the 3rd movement, made me so addicted to it. I actually downloaded it from youtube and played it on my laptop everyday. =) The last piece was Ives Symphony no 2, and that one sounds like a medley of church hymns, as some of the parts played are also hymns which we sing in church.

The whole mpo performances that night lasted around 2 hours plus. It was indeed a worth watching show to go to despite the pre-concert event and the post-concert event where I got sesat-ed many times because of my carelessness. But it was still worth the time and money going for MPO concerts. And that night we also had very nice seats which were in premium box G seat 1 n 2. And I think Henry enjoyed that too.

The end of classical stories..but no pictures, always forgot to take pictures after mpo concerts, anyway, thanks to all my classical friends!

3 comments:

  1. i wan pic! lol
    nex time remember to take,

    ReplyDelete
  2. yala..will try to remember. This Sat i'm going to watch MPO again, but i don't think i need to take pic coz other people will surely take. Haha..will update again when there'r pictures la..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha... the Pre-Concert and Post-Concert events must have been especially memorable to you, with the Pre-Concert being the MOST memorable...

    ReplyDelete